UNIVERSIDAD DE ANDALUCÍA
Ejemplo Prueba de acceso tipo Bachillerato, modelo año 2001
An Activity prepared byFrancisco Jesús Roldán Alba
SUNDAY IN NEW YORK
Sunday is usually the day that the ferries taking tourists to the Statue of Liberty do a really good business. On the quayside the queues are never-ending and, to keep the crowds entertained, buskers put on a show with acrobats, contortionists, fire-eaters and clowns.
But the next Sunday after the tragedy, there were no ferries, no photos, nobody... and no towers. It was a much quieter Sunday than usual, too quiet. The streets were sad and few New Yorkers dared to venture outside. Everyone sitting by the River Hudson was struck by the huge gap in the cityscape. They probably remembered times when they had been to the Twin Towers or had rushed past the entrance. That familiar sight was no longer there.
Besides, numerous cancellations have been made in the following weeks for holidays in the Big Apple. Tourists have chosen new destinations, but many have even cancelled trips to places that have nothing to do with the terrorist attacks or the subsequent conflict, such as England or Italy. September 11th has shocked the world to such an extent that it sent people's normal way of life completely off the rails.
COMPREHENSION (4 points)
ANSWER QUESTIONS 1-2 ACCORDING TO THE INFORMATION GIVEN 1N THE TEXT USE YOUR OWN WORDS
1) Why are Sundays a good day for ferries in New York?
2) What effect have the terrorist attacks had on tourism?
ARE THESE STATEMENTS TRUE 0R FALSE? JUSTIFY YOUR ANSWERS WITH WORDS 0R PHRASES FROM THE TEXT
3) The terrorist attacks have affected tourism in the US only.
4) Sundays are usually very busy in New York.
5) The Twin Towers were very popular among New Yorkers.
6) According to the text, visitors keep coming to New York.
USE 0F ENGLISH (3 points)
7) Find in the text one synonym of BIG (adjective) and one opposite of NOISY (adjective) (0.5 points)
8) Find in the text one word meaning "a street musician" (0.5 points)
9) Turn the following sentence into active voice (0.5 POINTS)
Numerous cancellations have been made in the following weeks.
10) Which word does NOT belong to the group according to the meaning?
GO RUSH HURRY CRASH
11) Give a question for the underlined words: (0.5 points)
Tourists have chosen new destinations.
12) Complete the following sentence: (0.5 points)
If terrorists attacked my home town...
PRODUCTION (3 points)
13) WRITE A COMPOSITION (80-100 WORDS). CHOOSE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING OPTIONS:
Webmaster Isabel Pérez Torres